Call it what you will, to my family it’s simply “monkey bread”. This is their standard. I got this recipe from a 1981 cookbook and after tweaking it some, it has evolved into this gooey, delicious treat that is so simple to make. It does require some extra time to rise but in the end it is totally worth it. Your taste buds will thank you. So, let’s dive in to this fix-it, forget-it, bake-it recipe.
- 2 loaves frozen bread dough, thawed (see tip below)
- 1/2 C. butter or margarine
- 1 C. brown sugar
- 2 TBL. milk
- 1 (3 oz.) pkg. vanilla pudding mix (cook type, NOT instant)
- 1 (3 oz.) pkg. butterscotch pudding mix (cook type, NOT instant)
- 1-3 tsp. ground cinnamon (to taste-I use 3)
Microwave tip on thawing bread dough:
Make sure bread dough is thawed. I usually thaw mine in the microwave, using 30 second bursts, flipping loaf over midway at least once. The thawing process only takes about 1 1/2 minutes. Make sure to watch carefully as the microwave will also cook your dough. If this happens and you get a little cooked part, just tear piece off and discard. Use the rest of the dough for your recipe. Do not let dough rise, just make sure it is completely thawed.
1) Grease a tube, bundt or 9″x13″ pan. Preheat oven to 175 degrees. TURN OVEN OFF when preheated.
2) In a medium sized microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Take out of microwave. Add brown sugar, both pudding mixes, milk and cinnamon. Stir until smooth. Set aside. You may also melt butter over the stove top as I did here.
3) Tear or cut 1 of the loaves of bread into small pieces and place evenly in a layer on bottom of pan.
4) Pour butter/pudding mixture over bread dough pieces, distributing evenly.
5) Repeat dough process described in step two, cutting or tearing second bread loaf. Distribute pieces evenly over layer in pan.
5 ) Cover with buttered or sprayed plastic wrap. Place in pre-warmed oven ( see step 1). Let bread dough rise until doubled. Mine took about 1 1/2 hours. Take out of oven.
6) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap. Place pan in oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes. Monkey bread will be done when the dough appears golden brown. Immediately turn out onto serving tray. Please be careful. The caramel sauce is extremely hot!
You are done! I hope you get a chance to enjoy this extra special comfort food.