I saw a picture of this adorable diaper tricycle on Pinterest and decided to try it out for an upcoming baby shower I was giving. It’s filled with practical things for a newborn and is a fun way to present basic needs to a new-to-be mom. I used up all the things I had purchased, not really knowing what would work. I’ll walk you through this and let you know what worked for me. I put this together after a long day of cake decorating and it took only 30 minutes to assemble; I couldn’t have been happier! Let’s get started!
- About 75 disposable diapers, 25 for each wheel
- 1 sleeper
- 1 bib
- 1 extra long snuggle blanket or two receiving blankets
- Booties or socks
- 1 stuffed animal, approximately 12″ high
- 2 1/2 yds. 2″ wide ribbon
- Baby-sized hanger
- Ribbon or twine for securing wheels together (I used tulle because it was handy)
- Miscellaneous: scissors, 8″ round cake pan, stapler, 6 rubber large bands, wrapping supplies
1)Begin by making wheels. Take out your 8″ cake pan and begin placing diapers around the edge, overlapping. Keep adding diapers in circular layers until pan is filled. Before lifting diaper bundle out of pan, wrap with two rubber bands to hold unit together.
2)Wrap wheels with the 2″ wide ribbon to decorate wheels and hide rubber bands. I don’t have a picture of this step. I secured my ribbon by stapling the ends together
3)Secure two back wheels together by carefully inserting the ribbon through the center of wheel in through the center of the second wheel. Tie.
4)Tie around all three wheels in a similar fashion.
5)Add receiving blankets to each side (the blanket I used went all the way through) by wrapping around ribbon. Poke ends into diaper rolls.
6) Place sleeper onto hanger and tuck legs up into arms or tucking here and there to wrap hanger. Add the hanger by securing it upside down, hooking under rubber bands and ribbon. Secure by wrapping ribbon around hook a few times, going in through center of wheel to anchor.
7)Slide booties onto handlebars. Add bib to top of front wheel to resemble a fender. Tuck ends around handlebar base. Place stuffed animal on top. I didn’t secure the stuffed animal. It stayed on the tricycle just fine. You are done! For wrapping tips, see below.
1)Tie back wheels and front wheel onto a piece of cardboard. Tie by slipping ribbon through center of wheel and under entire board. Tie tightly with a knot. The board I used was a 13″x19″cake board.
2)Wrap the entire thing with basket wrap. Tie at the top. Decorate with tulle or ribbon. Tie or tape card.
That is it, my friends. Very easy and practical for a new mom presented in a unique way that is easy to disassemble. Enjoy!