When your bananas look like compost, it’s time to make banana bread! Here is a tried and true recipe I have used for years to turn the nasty into tasty. I hope you will enjoy this winner.
- 1/2 C. Shortening
- 1 C. Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 Very ripe bananas, mashed
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 3/4 C. Flour
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease and flour 1 (6″x9″) OR 2 (4″x71/2″) pans OR 6 (2 3/4″x4 3/4″ bread loaf pan(s). [These measurements are approximate. It seems there are no standard sizes.]This is the best way to prepare pan to ensure the bread will turn out of the pan without sticking. Baking spray does not work as well.
- Mash bananas. Set aside.
3. Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
4. Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs. Mix thoroughly.
5. Add bananas alternately with dry ingredients. Batter will be thick.
6. Dollop evenly into prepared pan(s).
7. Bake for approximately 1 hour for large pan, 40-45 minutes for medium pans or 30-35 minutes for small pans. Sprinkle with sugar or cinnamon sugar immediately for an added flair, if desired.
Quick and easy–and a great comfort food. Enjoy!