First, there was chocolate lasagna (see this post). Then the fall pumpkin craze hit and the idea for pumpkin spice lasagna was born in the aisles of the grocery store. Layers yummy, spicy creaminess with a little crunch at the end. You just can’t go wrong.
I served this at a fall party and it was a big hit. Enjoy!
PUMPKIN SPICE LASAGNA (recipe by ideastimestwo)
- 1 (14 oz.) bag or box of store-bought gingersnaps ( I used Stauffer’s brand, but I also tried a local brand, Kroger, and they worked equally well)
- 6 TBL brown sugar
- 6 TBL butter, melted
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 1/2 C. milk plus 2 TBL milk, divided
- 1/4 C. granulated sugar
- 1 (12 oz.) tub of frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (9.2 oz.) box Jell-O brand instant pumpkin style pie dessert mix (Substitution: If you can find regular 3.9 oz. instant pumpkin pudding boxes, go ahead and use two of those with 3 1/4 C. milk.)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon plus small amount for garnish (opt.)
1. With a food processor, whirl all cookies until completely crumbled with no remaining chunks.
2. Stir in the brown sugar until thoroughly combined.
3. Add melted butter and stir until completely and evenly distributed.
4. Turn out crumbs in a 9″x 13″ baking or serving pan. Press down firmly, distributing evenly. Chill for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add 2 TBL milk. Mix. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Mix well. Add 1 1/4 C. of whipped topping and fold together with the cream cheese mixture.
6. Take gingersnap crust out of refrigerator and evenly spread cream cheese mixture over crumb crust. Return to refrigerator.
7. Meanwhile, remove pumpkin filling pouch from box of instant pie mix. Whisk in 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, if desired. You will not be using the graham cracker crumbs. You may save those for another dessert project. Using package directions, prepare pie mix as directed (beating with milk until thickened). Take crust/cream cheese out of refrigerator. Spread pumpkin mixture over cream cheese layer.
8. Top with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top. Chill for at least one hour. Serve. Mmm…
I hope you have a chance to make this; it’s so good, easy to prepare and a little unusual in lieu of a typical pumpkin pie. Delicious!