I love color, but sometimes too much color is a little bit overwhelming. Right now, the cake world seems filled with bright colors but I thought I’d take a step back and tone it down. I’ll show you how to take a plain cake, top it with simple decorations for a yummy and elegant treat. You may choose either of two ways to decorate the top.
Let’s start with the cake itself. It’s made of 4 layers of 8″ round cakes. I used vanilla with some chocolate marbled inside to match the two-tone effect of the cake.
MATERIALS NEEDED ( for one cake, topper ingredients are listed separately):
- 3 cake mixes
- 2 batches of buttercream icing
- Whoppers (I found the “movie theater” box was plenty.)
- Bird’s nest topper: 1 1/2 C. chow mein noodles;1 1/4 C. chocolate candy melts; several small, white chocolate eggs
- Bunny topper: I used one 3 1/2″ chocolate bunny and two 2″ bunnies. (The brand I used was Lindt.)
- Bake 4 (8″) cakes. Cool completely. You may chill (or freeze) the cakes at this point to make the leveling easier.
- Cut each cake to level. I do this by measuring the lowest part, making a small cut at this level all around the cake and then connect the cuts using a gentle, sawing motion.
3. Stack the cakes on top of each other, filling each layer. If you froze the cakes, they should be completely thawed before adding any frosting.
4. Frost entire stack with a thin layer of frosting to hold in crumbs. If possible, chill cake for 30 minutes or so to set frosting.
5. Frost cake with a generous amount of icing on the top first, then sides. Smooth top as much as possible drawing a spatula over the edge in towards the center. Take a small butter knife or spatula and draw lines around the sides of the cake to form gentle ridges.
6. Place Whoppers around the bottom of the cake.
7. For the bunny topper: place chocolate bunnies on top of cake.
8. For nest topper: Line a cereal or small bowl with wax paper. Mine bowl was 5 ” in diameter. Combine chow mein noodles with melted candy melts. Stir until thoroughly coated. Dump mixture into prepared bowl. Use the back of a spoon to impress a hollow in the center. Let set. Place white candy eggs in nest and center on the top of the cake.
This was so much fun. Enjoy!