You may not feel giving cash or a gift card is personal, but you can make it personal–and fun. Here is a simple-to-do project to spiff up your gift-giving game. Use this basic idea for any occasion; it’s perfect for Father’s Day, baby showers, birthdays, graduation–even weddings. I’ll walk you through the simple process. Let’s go!
- Acetate sheets (one sheet will make two cards) I used overhead transparency sheets. Firm page protectors will also work.
- Each card is unique as far as the shaker elements. I used sequins, table confetti, and hand drawn bits. Be creative here.
- Sewing machine to stitch around outside edges of card. You may also hand stitch, use clear tape or washi tape for a decorative touch.
- Sentiment and/or small decorative greeting for outside of shaker card.
- Double-sided tape or tape runner for attaching outside decorative greeting.
- Gift card or cash
1)Cut 2 identical acetate pieces for each card. My cards measured 4 1/2″ by 5 1/2″.
2)Sew (or tape as indicated above) around 3 edges of acetate to form a pocket. If you are sewing, sew 1/4″ from edges. I recommend using a medium stitch length.
3)Decorate the outside of your pocket with sentiments or small image. If you are drawing directly on pocket do this now as well.
4)Place shaker elements inside pocket. Place gift card or cash inside pocket.
5)Scoot all items away from 4th edge and sew (or tape) along final edge.
A FEW NOTES SPECIFIC TO THE CARDS IN THE PICTURES:
Father’s Day card- The shaker items are as follows: brown and tan sequins, the “World’s Greatest Dad” item is a sticker which I stuck onto a plain piece of paper, the tiny hammers and neckties are hand drawn. On the outside of the card, I drew balloons on white paper. The balloon strings are drawn on acetate with a Sharpie marker. The sentiment is hand lettered.
Birthday card-All shaker items are table confetti. On the outside, the sentiment is hand lettered and the candle decoration is from my stash of rubber stamps, stamped onto white paper and filled in with marker.
Baby shower card-Shaker elements are table confetti. Sentiment is stamped onto white paper.
Give these cards as they are or put inside a paper card or place in an envelope. They are versatile as well as unique. I hope you enjoy making these unusual cards. They are fun to give–and to receive! Enjoy!